Landlord Safety Checks

Landlord Gas Safety Certificates are essential for all rented properties.

This law aims to ensure safe installation, maintenance and usage of gas in both domestic and commercial properties. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are in place to prevent injury to the public and consumers from carbon monoxide poisoning (CO) or fire and explosions. This law enforces the responsibility of gas engineers, landlords and consumers. Read more

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Under Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 it is the landlords responsibility to arrange regular annual checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Landlords must ensure that checks are carried out every 12 months and that at every check a Gas Safe certificate is obtained. The landlord must keep this certificate on record for a minimum of 2 years and provide the tenant with a copy.


Landlords often use agents on their behalf to oversee all property issues. In cases such as these it is vital that there is a clear understanding between both parties as to who is responsible for the annual gas check. This will need to be documented in the form of a contract. Exactly the same duties will apply under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Check your Engineer is Gas Safe registered

Under Gas Safety regulations it is essential that you use a Gas Safe registered installer to carry out works and checks. If you are unsure how to check if an engineer is a Gas Safe installer just check the installers ID card alternatively you can check via the Gas Safe website.

Your legal responsibility for gas appliances

Gas appliances that are directly provided by yourself for the tenant to use are your legal responsibility. You are not responsible for appliances that the tenant provides themselves but do have limited responsibility for any pipe work and installation.

Landlords must check the property after the tenant has left to ensure that the tenant has not taken out any appliances leaving behind a potential hazard. Any appliances that are left behind by the tenant will need to be checked by a Gas Safe installer. If there is suspected damage to any appliances within the property HSE recommends that a Gas Safety check is completed by a registered Gas-Safe engineer prior to letting out the property again.

Hunt Heating provides a number of tailor made heating and plumbing options to our commercial clients. To find out more please contact our us on 02476 404947

or contact us.